Now, Abbot, if you see folk who would join us
Tell them to ride, and to follow our hoofprints,
And seek us in townships, or open country.
So we thought the bar would be open at 7:30 and had planned a coffee and exit. It was actually the desayuno. It was too good to pass up and since it was included and today was a significantly cooler day, we ate a full breakfast. Damn, now we have to do the same tomorrow.
We rode up to the EI Cerro de Alcubilla del Marqués which is prominent as you pass by. The are old wine cave and at some point some fortification. It is all hikeable now.
The ride today was a backtrack to San Esteban de Gormaz and an out and back loop. After crossing a single lane medieval bridge (which the stupid Canadians on the tour refused to cross while the light was red) we rode through farms county on the flattest road I've cucled in Spain. We also has a tailwind.
At Langa de Duero we detoured crossed another one lane bridge with a traffic light and ... stupid Canadians. We had a coffee amoung a lot of young sporty people. There was some competition going on with a large number of people at the town sports complex. No idea what sport it was. I've heard from Spanish people that a lot of the smaller towns pick a sport and dominate it. In my town the big sport is supposed to be field hockey.
Leaving town the Canadians again waited for a light on a one lane bridge that it does not matter how a car passes you; behind you or in front of you. How are you different on a bike from a pedestrian?
Soon we came to the big climb for the day and it wasn't bad. I stayed stayed at the summit area to get some drone shots while Mike and Bob went 10km further down and back. The said the town was kinda neat but the climb back was steep (unless you were Mike). If you want to see the video (assuming I get around to editing it) it will be on my YouTube channel... yeah, I got.one. I'm going viral, baby!
Regrouping and going back to the flatter farmland we encountered a herd of sheep on the way to ... greener pastures? It was a big group managed by one guy and a dog.
Later in Miño de San Esteban we found a local hidden bar near the church identified by the word "Bar" on the wall, a few stacked tables and two old guys sitting out front. Cokes and ice cream sticks were great! Every now and then one of the old guys would talk to us, probably imparting some wisdom, but it was in Spanish. I think one day I want to be that guy.
In San Esteban de Gormaz, Bob got his Camino del Cid stamps at the tourist office. A Spanish guy asked me in English about our little glasses mirrors. He said he cycled and thought they were pretty good after I let him try them.
The last 12km were a struggle. I would have been happy to be done. This was my third time on the section between San Esteban de Gormaz and El Burgo de Osma and it was the low point of the last 4 days. I do recommend staying in El Burgo de Osma over that two night section of the Camino del Cid because El Burgo de Osma is just a muct more interesting town. That and two nights in the same room is a luxury.
This area has some interesting things to explore on foot. The castle above San Esteban de Gormaz would be cool and the EI Cerro de Alcubilla del Marqués would be great to walk.
We got back to the hotel a little after 2 and after showering had lunch at the restaurant. I think the flank steak was a better choice that the lamb chops had yesterday but I was in a better eating mode today. Likely because it was cooler. I had the better part of a bottle of wine and got a little misty talking about The Crusher passing last year.
Bob worked (or napped) immediately after lunch and Mike and I carried on long enough to really shorten siesta. It rained for about half an hour with thunder and lightening.
My bee/wasp sting continues to make me look like someone punched me. It's been a while now. I hope it goes away soon.
We went back to the same place for dinner as last night. This time we really over ordered. When all of us were full the fourth dish, a huge steak, arrived. It looked great but for North Americans a little too rare. We had to send it back for a little more cooking. When it came back it would be American very rare. It was good. Bob ate most of it. Not sure how far he got as I ducked out early to see a man about a horse. When I left the party was raging and I can still hear it from here through double paned glass.
No comments:
Post a Comment