Tuesday, August 18, 2026

EEC Tour Day 7 - Medinaceli

My Cid, with his whole company, considered

That they could not rest there in the fortress,

Which, though defensible, lacked fresh water.

...

They rode swiftly upstream by the Henares;

They crossed the Alcarria, and forged ahead;

They rode, passing by the caves of Anguita,

Over the rivers, reached the fields of Toranz,

And rode, fast as they could, through that country


Siguenza had no AC and maybe that contributed to the poor sleep last night.  I was hot and awake for nearly 2 hours in the middle of the night.  I think they must ban AC from these historic towns.  There are no visible units on the outside of the buildings.  Looked it up and the are many restrictions in those towns.  Something to note in historic places.


We were out the door at 6:45 and having coffee and croissant at the busy bakery a few minutes later.





The first stop was at a town where we crossed the A2 - one of the main freeways in Spain connecting Madrid and Zaragoza.  We went to the truck stop for the bad coffee and better facilities.  Bob and I got sandwiches for the road.  His was anchovy and he at the whole thing over the course of the day.  I still have 3/4 of mine.







Many little cute towns during the day.  Not a lot of open bars, however.  The scenery was pleasant with lots of up and down in and out of river valleys.


In Luzon we had several discussions with the old ladies where our lack of understanding did not slow them down at all.  If we spoke Spanish we would have lurned a few things.  We did  get that the cool esculptura we wanted to see was a hike away. 






At Ciruelos del Pinar we had a cole and tried to buy water but he had none.  Odd.  On the way out an old guy working on a kid's bike said the spring just out of town had good water.  No signs and it was cold so I drank it.  I'm still alive so must be ok.


Coming into the last third we had a big climb up to the wind mills on a perfect road.  At the top we chatted with some local cyclists going the other way.  One guy had been to Toronto and was excited to talk about that.  From that point it was mostly downhill or flat with the road running between the wind mills.







From a distance we could see a long descent to the A2.  Unfortunately, our town was directly across at the same level.  Medinaceli is in two levels: one at the freeway and the other 200m above that.  It was a long climb from Medinaceli to Medinaceli.



The old town is really old and very pretty but I don't think many people actually live here.  It is pretty.


After recovery we walked around town looking at the sites marked on the tourist map.  We had dinner at the restaurant who owns our apartment.  Our contact was a little annoyed with me but he took car of us.  Dinner was pretty good.  He told us there were not many bicycle men this time of the year because of the heat.


Some where today I lost my sunglasses.  I am sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

EEC Tour Day 11 - Madrid

Don't really feel there is much to document today.  We all slept in and then saw beautiful sunrises from our beds and balconies. ...